Time to pick UP the PEN and start writing!
Pen children’s bilingual stories in English and Malay for Singaporean kids. Winners will win gifts and #BuySingLit vouchers. Who knows, your story could be published too!
We are looking for the following:
- Children’s Picture Books (bilingual Malay-English)
- Early Chapter Books (Malay Language only)
- Students : 13-24 years old (your teacher, head of department or principal must approve your submission)
- Individuals : No age limit
- Singaporean or PR
- It is an original story.
- It has not been published elsewhere including social media or blogs.
- It should portray some elements of Singapore or Malay culture or multiculturalism.
- Each submission should have one or maximum two authors.
Children’s Picture Books (bilingual Malay-English)
- Each story should be about 300-500 words in one language. In total, there will be 600-1000 words in both languages.
- A good story has interesting character or character(s) with simple and yet creative plot.
- It can be rhyming and rhythmic. Even if it may not rhyme, it should be rhythmic.
- It is fun and engaging for young children aged up to 7 years when it is being read to.
- Some sketches of the illustration will help us to understand the story better. It will be good if you can work with art/graphic students or up and coming illustrators to submit sketches of 2-3 pages of your story. Alternatively, show us samples of published books so that we can envision your story.
- Edit your story for grammar and structure before submitting.
- Email your manuscript (word document only, NOT pdf) and sketches (jpeg) to email@example.com before 9 February 2018
Early Chapter Books (Malay Language only)
- As the name implies, it should have several short chapters with interesting character(s) and plot development. We are looking at 5-8 short chapters.
- It should be between 1000-2000 words.
- Suitable for independent readers from 7-12 years of age.
- Wit and humour will engage these readers. Make your story interesting – fun or funny or out of this world and yet able to capture some elements of Singapore and/or multiculturalism.
- Where possible, include a dash of juicy words (perkataan enak), collective nouns (penjodoh bilangan), idioms (simpulan bahasa), and proverbs (peribahasa) etc.
- Edit your story for grammar and style before submitting.
Submission of Manuscript:
- Your manuscript must include the title and your full names and BC or IC numbers.
- It should be written in 12 pt Arial and double spaced.
- It should be submitted in MS word doc only (NOT PDF) and sketches (jpeg only) ON OR BEFORE 9 FEBRUARY 2018, by 5pm
- For students, your IC (teacher, HOD or principal) should be cc-ed in the emails
- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All manuscripts will not be returned.
- Winners of Pen UP! will be announced between 9-11 March 2018 on social media or at a suitable event/venue.
- All decisions made by our judges and Ungu Pen will be final, and enquiries regarding outcomes will not be entertained.
- Winning stories or stories that are selected for publishing in the future will be edited in mutual consultation with authors.
Download the Application Form now:
Fill up the Application Form and submit together with your story to email@example.com
All the best!
For any other enquiries on taking part, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We reserve the right to amend the terms and conditions as we deem fit. Please check back regularly. Last Updated 26 Jan 2018 at 11:06pm.